Thursday, January 8, 2009

Knitting Away.

Something that has frustrated me over the years is the lack of opportunities for me to volunteer individually to help out various causes. I have finally found something that I can do, by myself. I am currently knitting an afghan to donate to a nursing home with patients in need of warmth and kindness. I began a couple of days ago and am finding the task a little daunting. It's funny, I have a commonality with my brother and sister, and its cropped up in both of their blogs too. We all have a problem with perfectionism. Needless to say, in knitting this afghan, it's cropped up numerous times and I keep fretting over how it's coming along. It's going to be about 6'x6' and since it's the first afghan I will have knitted, there will be many mistakes. I've mostly come to terms with this fact and decided that it will be fine no matter how it turns out, as long as it stays in one piece and is uniform for the most part. Now, it looks really good so far, but I find myself fretting over whether it's too tight, or whether all the stitches look good, or whether I've picked up a stitch or not. These things will be somewhat trivial when the finished product comes around, but I keep thinking it really matters. Then I realized that most peoples' eyesight has diminished by the time they're in a nursing home, so maybe they won't even notice! That made me feel a lot better.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you posted on my blog. I had read your first post but didn't put your address in my feeds checker & kept forgetting to pull it back up when online!

    The thought I had about your afghan is that I look for 'imperfections' or little anomalies in things like blankets. They're comforting to find and re-find with my fingers. It's something I always do with knitted or other handmade things, unconsciously comforting. So maybe the people who receive your blaket will also find comfort in your "perfectly imperfect" efforts!

    ReplyDelete