Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Problem and Solution.

I have a real problem with people lately. It's like I always had a rosy outlook on people all through my childhood and early teens and now I'm realizing just how awfully rank people can really be. It bugs the heck outta me how freakin' RUDE some people can be. It's like someone never taught them the basics of being a decent human being. I think this is especially true in Yosemite. The majority of people I know, and especially managers, have this air of complete arrogance that drives me up the wall. Now, it's said that one generally dislikes the qualities in others that oneself actually possesses. I can see how that is true. I very much dislike one particular person who I consider a spoiled brat...mostly because the person reminds me of myself; I would add "at that age" but at times I wonder if I have ever truly moved on from that "phase." Realistically, the answer is yes, in many ways I have, but in others I really do still have to wonder. Which brings me back to my original point. Maybe this insufferable arrogance that I despise so much in the people around me is actually a reflection of myself. Somehow it fits. I admit that I do feel a sense of superiority to a few types of people. I reprimand myself often and make attempts to change, but in the meantime, this is part of my reality. I would like to think that I am about average in this area, that I am just a normal person of admirable character, but the truth is, I can be a downright shitty person in my ruthless judgments and thoughts of people. This is what I consider being jaded. Part of it is preconceived notions about how people should be, and notions of how they are, and part of it is by personal experience up-close and personal with some disgusting beings I hesitate to call people. Now this is the extreme end of the spectrum, but it has taught me a lot about human nature in general, and perhaps made me even harder than is warranted on the rest of the species. Because of this I make judgment calls that are perhaps less than rational and *definitely* less than compassionate. But I do have compassion...I have compassion for those who are genuine, truly authentic, down-to-earth individuals. I have no patience or love for people who are dishonest and/or pretentious.
( N.B. (Stands for Note Well, "Nota Bene" in Latin) I'm sick of saying I'm going to work on that. As far as I'm concerned it goes without saying that I'm going to work on it. If I'm talking about my flaws then it means I am aware of them. I don't generally wallow and wade in my lack of mastery over a certain area in my life...I just get rid of it.) I read an amazing book* one time though, that suggests that one of the keys to happiness is compassion for all people, based on the idea that they are no different from myself, seeking the very same things I am. Along the same lines, a wiser one than me once suggested that I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and not allow any negative bias to enter my ideas about a given person. Consequently, I am of the opinion that this will lead me to feel a sense of harmony and empathy for others. I suppose that means that I ought to have compassion for every person that I could possibly have bitter feelings toward who is or ever has been on earth. Needless to say, this will be a tough one.

*The book is called "The Art of Happiness" by the Dalai Lama and Howard C. Cutler with an emphasis on the thoughts and practices of the Dalai Lama himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment