Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Guitarist in the Making? (absolutely!)

Okay, so I'm just *so* excited. I finally got my new guitar tuned. I was having some trouble keeping it in tune 'til my little musician brother gave me the solution, and now it's keeping tune just nicely! So, now that it's in tune, the chords that a few days ago sounded *awful* are now just gorgeous. It excites me so much. What I hear in the chords is possibility! I have wanted to learn guitar for as long as I can remember...I think I got it from my dad lol... I have this memory of me and my siblings as kids, all sitting on the floor around my dad who was sitting on his bed playing his guitar. It was such a fun night. He seemed like he was having fun and feeling kind of playful and asked us for requests. Haha, I didn't know if this was actually a song, but it sounded like a good title! My request was "Stranger With a Gun" hahaha. He laughed in a nice way and said "Welp, not sure if I know that one but I think I can try" and then proceeded to improv a cute, fun little song for me. It was so awesome. It's one of my favorite memories of my dad. I'm pretty sure I was really young, maybe it was while mom was pregnant with Dillon, so I was about five I guess. Gah, I just love it.
So I bought myself a decent guitar (which doubled as a Christmas present for Jamie haha, from us to each other) and am now learning to play it. I spent the first week that I couldn't play it properly (because of the tuning problem) just feeling the strings and building resistance to the inevitable pain, and just tonight I realized that my fingertips are already developing calluses! They're shiny in the way that only callusing fingers can be, and I'm finding it easier to play. It is just so freakin' exciting! I've never gotten this far before.

No comments:

Post a Comment