Thursday, February 12, 2009

What's to Come?

This question hasn't bothered me in a looong time. Even within the realms of being LDS it wasn't too much of a problem. My options were either to go to Outer Darkness, which didn't seem likely; the Telestial Kingdom, which didn't seem too likely either since I'd been baptized and all that; the Terrestrial Kingdom, which, by most accounts is just like the earth as it is now, or the Celestial Kingdom, which apparently is the ultimate in terms of residing in bliss and God's love, etc.

So, I figured I was pretty much guaranteed Terrestrial at the worst, and Celestial at the best and decided that the Terrestrial was not too shabby. I love life as it is! At least, I always *did* so the prospect didn't bother me that much. Now that I've stepped back from LDS living, and am not thinking in those terms anymore, it doesn't really matter to me *where* I go. I can honestly say that the idea of death hasn't ever concerned me that much. The only things that scare me about death are: the prospect of dying slowly and in excruciating pain; drowning; or being murdered. Those things scare the bejeebies out of me. (Actually, being murdered would really piss me off, after the fact.) Other than that if I die quickly and painlessly, it's no biggie! I figure that anywhere I go is just fine, whether it's reincarnation; a deep, dark void; absolute nonexistence (not possible anyway as far as I know); Heaven; Hell; the Telestial Kingdom - what-have-you! It's all good. I think if I've lived a good long life I'll have the memories of everything that was good to hang onto. Even if I die right now I'll have great memories. Then again, if I don't have any memories, then I won't know what to miss. Either way, I'll be just peachy.

I also don't see the point in busting my ass in order to make it to the Celestial Kingdom just to get there and have God look at his charts and say something like "Okay...Mabry, Katie Ruth, LDS, Baptized, Confirmed, Sealed in the Temple, prayers twice a day, good good. Okay Katie, it seems that your religion led you to believe that only by following their teachings could you get here, but if you look around you'll see that that young man is Muslim, this young lady is Hindu, and that guy is Jewish, and they all made it too. You might as well have been part of any one of the other religions as long as you lived by the truths of love, compassion, selfless giving..." What a waste of all that energy to live up to the Mormon standard of living!! There are much simpler ways of life out there that make more sense than Mormonism.

Also, all this hype about "families are forever" that's propagated by Mormonism doesn't really make much sense to me. I won't miss my family THAT much if I have the memories of all of them that will last for an eternity. I mean some of you have to separate for some time when you die and are just hanging out in paradise until the judgement day. There will always be people here or there until then! So anyway, all of that doesn't really have the effect that it's probably supposed to. I'm not stunned/awed anymore by the idea of being together forever.
I'm also not that concerned about being separated. My family is pretty compartmentalized anyway. We're not that close in the grand scheme of things. It just seems funny to me how even if you never talk or see each other much in this life, you think you'll miss them *more* if you know they're in another dimension from yourself. It's just kind of fussy and trifling to worry about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment